Construction Selling Skills
November 2-4, 2016
Win More Profitable Work
This is a hands-on course to help you sell more work at higher margins. You will learn a strategic approach for differentiating your firm and outselling the competition. Stop selling and start learning how to help customers buy. This is a collaborative approach that builds lasting relationships, cements customer loyalty and gives you the confidence you need to get out there and sell work.
Are you charged with:
- Keeping in touch with customers and winning work?
- Identifying the right customers to help your firm grow?
- Creating strategies to sell value instead of simply the lowest possible price?
- Finding the customer "hot buttons" that give your firm an advantage over the competition?
- Getting your foot in the door with future clients?
Then this program is for you!
If you have any questions about the program or the topics we will cover, please contact the program director, Cynthia Paul at 303.398.7206.
What You Will Learn
Construction Selling Skills will give you the skills you need to:
- Get your foot in the door and meet the right contacts
- Build effective win strategies—from the customer's point of view
- Sell more to existing customers—while expanding your list of contacts
- Discover approaches that differentiate you from the competition
- Leverage gatekeepers and get to the right decision-makers
- Turn customer hot buttons into key selling messages
- Help you get pre-positioned to win that key project
- Create customer loyalty and commitment
- Use objections to build client conviction
The interactive format and hands-on exercises deliver the skills needed to be successful in selling a portion of your role —whether you are new to the game or a seasoned pro!
What the Attendees Are Saying...
- "Cynthia connects — good anecdotal evidence, rubber-on-the-road-knowledge of what we do. She gets to a lot of the subtle, underlying truths that most people take cover from." — Steve Larson, Vice President, Sales & Estimating, Design Mechanical
- "Excellent. I learned a lot of valuable insights that I can implement at the office.” — Mike Green, President, Pecos Construction
- "Fantastic program. FMI really delivered the goods! I’m taking away practical and technical information as well as inspiration. Highly recommended." — James Tyrone, Director of Business Development, Rowland Companies
- "I really enjoyed the program. It was definitely time and money well spent. I was happy to get the tools and strategies to help implement sales and customer-based culture." — David R. Swan, Project Manager, Swan Electric Company, Inc.
- "Outstanding overall experience. Very engaging." — Michael K. Newhouse, President, HM General Contractors
- "Really enjoyed Cynthia’s and Steve’s insights on selling strategies – Great job!" — Paul Jenke, Senior Project Manager, TD Industries, Inc.
- "This was an eye opening program for me … I learned that the things I have been doing were 'correct' but I needed a structure to the plan." — David Rawlings, Region Manager, Electricom
- "Very logically organized and presented. Exceptional and interesting speakers." — Marc A. Dodeman, Caldwell Marine International
- "The content was excellent! However, the instructors were the most impressive part of this program. Their ability to keep us engaged was tremendous!" — Tom Brooks, Vice President, Berglund Construction
- "Great real world examples. Provides the tools to develop your plan for business development." — Steve Eikanger, GE Johnson Construction
Business Development Services
FMI has created courses based on proven processes that will improve your business development results, win more work and grow your profitability:
- Marketing & Selling Strategies
- Construction Selling Skills
FMI’s experienced team can customize a solution specifically for you. With the tools that you will gain through one of these programs or through an engagement specifically designed for your company, you will create a strategic business development vision and a structured implementation plan to differentiate your company from the competition.
Contact Cynthia Paul at 303.398.7206 to determine which option fits your needs best and will make your team most effective.
Who Should Attend
- Vice presidents
- Heads of pre-construction, estimating, operations or business development
- Anyone who is involved in securing work with customers
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
What Do You Mean I'm Involved in Sales?
- Learn the key questions that contractors are asking about the "get work" process
- Explore the seller-doer expanding role in the "get work" process
- Understand the role strategy plays in getting selected
Building Your Strategy to Win
- Selling value in construction is complicated
- Link your market strategy to sales efforts
- Leverage a 4C model for getting the results you need
- Incorporate the five strategies that create a balance win strategy
- Know what it takes to win — every time
Selling Yourself and Your Company
- Customers "buy" you first — make the right first impression
- Determine with which customers to spend the most time
- Get the legup by calling on the right contact
- Uncover their real decision-making criteria
- Keep in touch strategies that keep you in the game
- Identify the roles that are played — economic decision-maker, gatekeeper, champion, etc.
Get Ready — Doing Your Homework
- Build the reasons to meet that opens doors and gets you meetings
- Learn how to quickly engage the customer in the conversation
- Apply the hidden structure behind every effective customer meeting
- Use discovery skills to uncover and prioritize hot buttons
- Create call plans that set you above the competition
- Develop the win strategy needed to capture a specific project
- Create selling messages that grab the client's attention and keep it
Reading and Responding to the Customer
- Read the customer and the situation
- Leverage your understanding of the customer's business climate
- Learn how to quickly build rapport
- Defuse confrontation and unproductive conflicts
- Know the players — who is really on your side?
What to Do When They Say "No"
- Prevent most objections from ever happening
- Learn the two strategies to deal with your toughest objections
- Leverage objections into a competitive advantage
- Cement customer commitment to selecting you over the competition
- Results come from implementing the ideas you learn
- Explore what it takes to successfully implement change
- Build your plan forward — to go from learning to day-to-day results
Learn From the Best
Cynthia Paul, managing director and practice leader for business development, works with industry firms to position them to capture market share and grow profitably. She creates strategic vision into differentiated competitive position.You will walk away with concrete techniques to convert classroom ideas into real-life competitive advantages for your firm. Read Cynthia's full bio here.
Jim Schug, principal and engagement manager with FMI, is passionate about developing customized strategy and best-in-class operations with his clients. He applies practical experience with an in depth understanding of leading lasting behavioral change in dynamic environments. Read Jim's full bio here.
Travel & Accommodations
When making flight arrangements, please plan to arrive the day before the start date as CSS begins at 8:30 a.m. the first day. Departure flights should be booked no earlier than 4:30 p.m. on the final day. If a departure flight is not available after 4:30 p.m. to your return destination, you have the option to stay at the hotel an additional night at your expense.
Hotel Information & Reservations
FMI has reserved a block of rooms at the host hotel. We urge you to make your reservations as soon as you register for the program as the room block does fill quickly. Book Online: Baltimore Marriott Waterfront RESERVATIONS - or - Call 410-385-3000 and be sure to ask for the "FMI - Construction Selling Skills" room block to ensure the reduced rate. Reservations requested after the cut-off date, or after the room block is filled, will be made solely based on availability and at the prevailing rate.
Reservation cut-off date is Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Baltimore Marriott Waterfront
700 Aliceanna Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
Hotel information for Seattle will be available soon.
Fees, Cancellation and Policies
The course fee includes all workbook materials, seminar instruction and refreshment breaks. Transportation, meals, lodging and hotel expenses are not included.
The enrollment fees for Construction Selling Skills are as follows:
- $2,800 for the first attendee
- $2,500 for each additional attendee from the same company.
The course fee includes all workbook materials, program instruction, continental breakfast and refreshment breaks. Transportation, meals, lodging and hotel expenses are not included. Payment will be collected at time of registration.
If you need to cancel your registration, please note that you will be subject to a $395 administrative cancellation fee per registrant. We need to receive your written cancellation at least five business days before the program in order to refund your remaining tuition. Otherwise, your tuition will be converted to a nonrefundable credit you may apply toward any FMI program for a full year. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your cancellation request.
Please note: If FMI cancels the event, your registration fee will be refunded. However, FMI cannot be held accountable for nonrefundable airline tickets or other expenses related to your travel to the event.
For questions regarding FMI's cancellation policy, please call 800.877.1364.
FMI reserves the right to change, add or cancel programs according to the needs of the industry.
If you would like to make any name changes or substitute participants please email us at email@example.com. Substitutions can be made up to five business days prior to the start of the program.
Dress code for this program is business casual. Temperatures in large meeting rooms can vary. We recommend dressing in layers; bringing a light jacket or sweater may help to make you more comfortable.
Weather in Seattle varies. We recommend that you check the weather for the area prior to packing. Click here to see the Seattle weather forecast.
After 60 years of helping the construction industry enhance performance, productivity, and profitability, we believe you will return home with the tools and information to make a difference in your work. If for any reason you are not satisfied, please inform us by calling 800.877.1364. We will refund your tuition or give you a credit to use at another FMI program.
Continuing Education Credits
You can earn up to 18 hours of continuing education credits by completing this program. A certificate of completion will be awarded to you at the conclusion of the program. You may use this certificate for self-reporting purposes to many state and local continuing education entities.
FMI Corporation is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417. Website: www.nasba.org.
Group Live | Intermediate | No Advanced Preparation Required