Construction Selling Skills
February 18-20, 2015 | Scottsdale, AZ
Differentiate Your Company from the Competition
This course will help you understand how to win more work. You will learn a consultative approach to selling that puts you in a position of helping customers buy versus having to sell to them.
Are you charged with:
- Outmaneuvering the competition to get your firm positioned as the right choice?
- Finding the right customers to help your firm grow?
- Building the customers' perception of value?
- Finding the customer “hot buttons” that give your firm the edge?
- Building customer loyalty?
Then this program is for you!
If you have any questions about the program or the topics we will cover, please contact the program director, Cynthia Paul at 303.398.7206.
- Explore the sales model that is winning work in the construction industry
- Identify how to segment your prospects to give you the greatest opportunity for success
- Understand the importance of referrals and testimonials—stop making cold calls
- Adopt a “customers for life” philosophy that will serve you throughout your career
- Learn what clients really want from construction companies
- Strategize how to get through gatekeepers and address objections
- Learn to convert your market intelligence into booked backlog
Construction Selling Skills will give you the skills you need to:
- Convert corporate strategy in get work success
- Identify customer hot buttons and turn those into key selling messages
- Build effective win strategies on projects that get you selected
- Create customer loyalty and commitment
- Use objections to build client conviction
- Spend more time with key decision makers
- Convert market intelligence into booked backlog
The interactive format and hands-on exercises teaches the skills needed to be successful in sales — whether you are new to the game or a seasoned pro!
What the Attendees Are Saying...
- "Cynthia connects — good anecdotal evidence, rubber-on-the-road-knowledge of what we do. She gets to a lot of the subtle, underlying truths that most people take cover from." — Steve Larson, Vice President, Sales & Estimating, Design Mechanical
- "Excellent. I learned a lot of valuable insights that I can implement at the office.” — Mike Green, President, Pecos Construction
- "Fantastic program. FMI really delivered the goods! I’m taking away practical and technical information as well as inspiration. Highly recommended." — James Tyrone, Director of Business Development, Rowland Companies
- "I really enjoyed the program. It was definitely time and money well spent. I was happy to get the tools and strategies to help implement sales and customer-based culture." — David R. Swan, Project Manager, Swan Electric Company, Inc.
- "Outstanding overall experience. Very engaging." — Michael K. Newhouse, President, HM General Contractors
- "Really enjoyed Cynthia’s and Steve’s insights on selling strategies – Great job!" — Paul Jenke, Senior Project Manager, TD Industries, Inc.
- "This was an eye opening program for me … I learned that the things I have been doing were 'correct' but I needed a structure to the plan." — David Rawlings, Region Manager, Electricom
- "Very logically organized and presented. Exceptional and interesting speakers." — Marc A. Dodeman, Caldwell Marine International
- "The content was excellent! However, the instructors were the most impressive part of this program. Their ability to keep us engaged was tremendous!" — Tom Brooks, Vice President, Berglund Construction
- "Great real world examples. Provides the tools to develop your plan for business development." — Steve Eikanger, GE Johnson Construction
Business Development Services
FMI has created courses based on proven processes that will improve your business development results, win more work and grow your profitability:
FMI’s experienced team can customize a solution specifically for you. With the tools that you will gain through one of these programs or through an engagement specifically designed for your company, you will create a strategic business development vision and a structured implementation plan to differentiate your company from the competition.
Contact Cynthia Paul at 303.398.7206 to determine which option fits your needs best and will make your team most effective.
Who Should Attend
- Vice presidents
- Heads of pre-construction, estimating, operations or business development
- Anyone who is involved in securing work with customers
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
What Do You Mean I'm Involved in Sales?
- Explore your expanding role in the "get-work" process
- Identify the keys to success in positioning your firm over the competition
- Understand the role strategy plays in getting selected
Selling Yourself and Your Company
- They "buy" you first — make the right first impression
- Determine their real decision-making criteria
- Identify the roles they play — economic decision maker, gatekeeper, champion, etc.
- Find "hot buttons" and you find the path to selling on value
- Discover strategies to keep in touch and build relationships that last
Building Tour Strategy to Win
- Selling value in construction is complicated
- Create the win strategy that give you the advantage
- Know when to match your best competitors and when to be different
- Build selling messages that resonate with customers
- Know what it take to win — every time
Get Ready — Doing Your Homework
- Winning starts with planning and rock-solid strategy
- Learn how to quickly engage the customer in the conversation
- Use discovery skills to uncover and prioritize hot buttons
- Create call plans that set you above the competition
- Develop the win strategy needed to capture a specific project
- Create selling messages that grab the client’s attention and keep it
What to Do When They Say "No"
- Prevent most objections from ever happening
- Learn strategies to deal with your toughest objections
- Leverage objections into a competitive advantage
- Cement customer commitment to selecting you
Reading and Responding to the Customer
- Read the customer and the situation
- Leverage your understanding of the customer's business climate
- Learn how to quickly build rapport
- Defuse confrontation and unproductive conflicts
- Know the players — who is really on your side?
Strategies for Managing the Complex Sale
- Navigate your way around common hazards
- Cut through the complexity of internal resource coordination
- Develop strategies to keep all your customer relationships moving forward
- Build your pan forward — from today to the future
Learn From the Best
Cynthia Paul, managing director and practice leader for business development, works with industry firms to position them to capture market share and grow profitably. She creates strategic vision into differentiated competitive position.You will walk away with concrete techniques to convert classroom ides into real-life competitive advantages for your firm. Read Cynthia's full bio here.
Jim Schug, principal and engagement manager with FMI, is passionate about developing customized strategy and best-in-class operations with his clients. He applies practical experience with an in depth understanding of leading lasting behavioral change in dynamic environments. Read Jim's full bio here.
Travel & Accommodations
When making flight arrangements, please plan to arrive the day before the start date as CSS begins at 8:30 a.m. the first day. Departure flights should be booked no earlier than 4:30 p.m. on the final day. If a departure flight is not available after 4:30 p.m. to your return destination, you have the option to stay at the hotel an additional night at your expense.
Hotel Information & Reservations
FMI has blocked a limited number of room for this seminar. We urge you to reserve a room as soon as you plan to attend this event. If you have any trouble obtaining a room, please contact our event coordinator who can provide you with a list of additional hotels in the vicinity.
December 10-12, 2014
February 18-20, 2015
|Talking Stick Resort
9800 E. Indian Bend Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85256
Fees, Cancellation and Policies
The course fee includes all workbook materials, seminar instruction and refreshment breaks. Transportation, meals, lodging and hotel expenses are not included.
The enrollment fee for Construction Selling Skills is:
- $2,495 for the first attendee
- $2,245 for each additional attendee from the same company.
Payment will be collected at the time of registration.
If you need to cancel your registration, please note that you will be subject to a $395 administrative cancellation fee per registrant. We need to receive your written cancellation at least five business days before the program in order to refund your remaining tuition. Otherwise, your tuition will be converted to a nonrefundable credit you may apply toward any FMI program for a full year. Please email us at email@example.com to submit your cancellation request.
Please note: If FMI cancels the event, your registration fee will be refunded. However, FMI cannot be held accountable for nonrefundable airline tickets or other expenses related to your travel to the event.
For questions regarding FMI's cancellation policy, please call 800.877.1364.
FMI reserves the right to change, add or cancel programs according to the needs of the industry.
If you would like to make any name changes or substitute participants please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Substitutions can be made up to five business days prior to the start of the program.
Dress for the program is business casual. Weather in Atlanta and Scottsdale varies. We recommend that you check the weather for the area prior to packing. Click here to see Atlanta's 10-day forecast or Scottsdale's 10-day forecast.
After 60 years of helping the construction industry enhance performance, productivity, and profitability, we believe you will return home with the tools and information to make a difference in your work. If for any reason you are not satisfied, please inform us by calling 800.877.1364. We will refund your tuition or give you a credit to use at another FMI program.
Continuing Education Credits
You can earn up to 18hours of continuing education credits by completing this program. A certificate of completion will be awarded to you at the conclusion of the program. You may use this certificate for self-reporting purposes to many state and local continuing education entities.
FMI Corporation is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417. Website: www.nasba.org.
Group Live | Intermediate | No Advanced Preparation Required