Emerging Managers Institute
September 28-30, 2016
October 3-5, 2016
November 15-17, 2016
|Explore FMI’s Signature Programs Infographic|
Building Management Talent to Drive the Future Growth of Your Firm
What are you doing to prepare your emerging managers to become your successors to manage and lead your company into the future?
Just being a technically skilled builder is not good enough in today’s competitive construction market. Industry research shows that the construction industry has done a good job of developing the knowledge base and technical skills of employees, but a poor job of developing management skills. Although people need to have a solid foundation of technical knowledge, the most successful leaders of the future will have also developed strong management, leadership and business skills in order to grow their company’s profitability.
For more information, please contact...
FMI director: Ken Wilson | 919.785.9238
Registration and Program Information: Michelle Anysz | 919.785.9298
Pre-Work and Logistics (hotel, program transportation, etc.): Jenny Albright | 919.785.9303
Here are some of the many benefits to attending the EMI:
- Identify your own communications style and learn practical skills for dealing with different types of individuals.
- Learn the difference between leadership and management and gain insight into what it takes to be an effective leader every day.
- Understand how to create a culture of accountability, gain respect and develop people to achieve superior performance.
- Build productive long-term client relationships with a strong commitment to customer satisfaction that will help turn your clients into “raving fans.”
- Learn new behaviors to improve your time mastery skills and improve your personal productivity.
- Develop your individual action plan that can be tracked and monitored over time to ensure lasting benefits from attending this program.
How Your Company Will Benefit
Industry demographic trends show an inevitable shortage of competent managers to take over the next generation of construction company manager positions. The FMI Emerging Managers Institute has been one of our most successful, interactive programs for more than 25 years. This workshop is designed to provide practical business management skills to build effective leaders for the future.
Meet Other Emerging Managers
Participants will have many opportunities to exchange ideas and interact with their peers, who are experiencing the same challenges as they take on new responsibilities. The course design encourages collaboration and includes a networking reception for participants at the end of the first day.
Who Should Attend
EMI is designed for new managers or those identified as having supervisory responsibilities in the future. Examples include:
- Project Executives
- Project Managers
- Departmental Managers
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. — Reception
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Developing the Leader Within
- Clarify the difference between management and leadership
- Define your leadership style, motivations, and what energizes you
- Lead the process of change within your organization
- Define the qualities and attributes of influential leaders
- Introduce the Peak Leader Model
Building Organizational Excellence
- Enhance interaction and motivate your team by understanding generational and personality differences
- Discuss a culture of accountability, gaining respect, and developing people into superstars
- Employ internal and external networking strategies that yield results
- Develop effective networking techniques
Creating a Highly Motivated, High-Performance Team
- Define effective communication and necessary actions to enhancing feedback
- Identify the unique characteristics of your people and ways to treat each of them in the way they want to be treated
- Use mentoring to motivate effective change
Managing your Time, Priorities and Projects
- Take a critical look at how you manage your time during the day/week
- Discuss obstacles to improved productivity
- Identify specific ways you can improve your time management, productivity and personal effectiveness with the support of the Time Mastery Profile
Defining Critical Customer Relationships
- Build long-term client relations by developing self-awareness of effective communication techniques and instituting customer-focused networking
- Leverage your management role into a key client relationship anchor
- View every service interaction as an opportunity to build customer loyalty
- Develop an attitude for unsurpassed customer service
- Learn how market research leverages your competitive advantage
- Write specific action items that will be tracked and monitored over a specified period of time
- Differentiate between personal action items and items that will be addressed organizationally as suggestions to your firm
Although the program will be intense, we are confident you will enjoy meeting and networking with other managers, learning more about your management capabilities; as well as discovering how to become a more effective leader. Below are pre-work requirements to get you started.
Preparation Begins Before Attending
There are two prerequisites you must complete prior to attending. They are the Time Mastery Profile (TMP) and the ProScan®. You will receive two separate emails with links for the surveys/assessments.
Time Mastery ProfileThe Time Mastery Profile must be completed by you. A link will be emailed to you from Inscape-Epic (check your spam filter). This survey will take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete.
The Time Mastery Profile provides insight about how you manage time, projects and people. We will review the surveys during the course of the Emerging Managers Institute.
ProScan®The ProScan® behavioral assessment test is administered over the internet. Your logon ID and Password will be provided to you via email. The ProScan® should take about 10 minutes to complete.
All pre-work is due one week prior to your Emerging Managers Institute session start date.
Travel - Venue - Accommodations
When making flight arrangements, please plan to arrive the day before the start date as EMI begins at 8:00 a.m. the first day. Departure flights should be booked no earlier than 4:30 p.m. on the final day. If a departure flight is not available after 4:30 p.m. to your return destination, you have the option to stay at the hotel an additional night at your expense.
You will need to take a taxi to the hotel upon arrival. FMI will arrange for transportation to the airport on the last day. If you want to explore other venues in the evening, you may want to rent a car or you can take a taxi. If you have any trouble obtaining a room, please contact our event coordinator who can provide you with a list of additional hotels in the vicinity.
San Diego Venue and Accommodations – September 28-30, 2016
The Emerging Managers Institute program will be held at the Hotel Solamar in San Diego.
FMI has reserved a block of rooms at the Hotel Solamar. We urge you to reserve a room as soon as you plan to attend this event. You may call the reservations number at 1-800-KIMPTON, be sure to ask for the "FMI Emerging Managers Institute" room block to ensure you receive the reduced room rate; OR on line at Hotel Solamar RESERVATIONS. Reservations requested after the cut-off date, or after the room block is filled, will be made solely based on the hotel’s availability and at the prevailing rate.
Reservation Cut-off date is September 7, 2016
435 6th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101
For more detailed hotel information visit the registration website.
Raleigh Venue and Accommodations – October 3-5, 2016
FMI has reserved a block of rooms at the Embassy Suites Hotel Raleigh-Crabtree. We urge you to reserve a room as soon as you plan to attend this event. You may call the hotel directly at 919-881-0000 or book online on the Embassy Suites Hotel Raleigh-Crabtree Reservations Page. Be sure to ask for the "FMI Corporation - Emerging Managers Institute" room block to ensure you receive the reduced room rate.
If you have any trouble obtaining a room, please contact our event coordinator who can provide you with a list of additional hotels in the vicinity.
Reservation Cut-off date is September 11, 2016
Embassy Suites Hotel Raleigh-Crabtree
4700 Creedmoor Road
Raleigh, NC 27612
For more detailed hotel information visit the registration website.
Brooklyn, NYC Venue and Accommodations – November 15-17, 2016
The Emerging Managers Institute November 15-17, 2016 will be held at the Sheraton Brooklyn, New York Hotel.
Reservation Cut-off date is October 14th, 2016
Sheraton Brooklyn New York
228 Duffield Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
You may call the hotel directly and ask for the FMI Emerging Managers Institute group rate or visit their website at Sheraton Brooklyn New York Registration.
Fees, Cancellation and Policies
Tuition includes all workbook materials, program instruction, lunches, refreshment breaks and the networking reception. Dinners, lodging and hotel expenses are not included.
The registration fee for the Emerging Managers Institute is:
- $3,000 for the first attendee
- $2,700 each for each additional attendee from the same company
Payment will be collected at time of registration.
If you need to cancel your registration, please note that you will be subject to a $395 administrative cancellation fee per registrant. We need to receive your written cancellation at least five business days before the program in order to refund your remaining tuition. Otherwise, your tuition will be converted to a nonrefundable credit you may apply toward any FMI program for a full year. Please email us at email@example.com to submit your cancellation request.
Please note: If FMI cancels the event, your registration fee will be refunded. However, FMI cannot be held accountable for nonrefundable airline tickets or other expenses related to your travel to the event.
For questions regarding FMI's cancellation policy, please call 800.877.1364.
FMI reserves the right to change, add or cancel programs according to the needs of the industry.
If you would like to make any name changes or substitute participants please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Substitutions can be made up to five business days prior to the start of the program.
Dress for the program is business casual. We recommend that you check the weather for the area prior to packing.
After 60 years of helping the engineering and construction industry enhance performance, productivity, and profitability, we believe you will return home with the tools and information to make a difference in your work. If for any reason you are not satisfied, please inform us by calling 800.877.1364. We will refund your tuition or give you a credit to use at another FMI program.
Continuing Education Credits
Attendees can earn up to 18 hours of continuing education credits by completing the program. At the conclusion of the program, participants will receive a certificate of completion that can be submitted to the licensing board of their choice for continuing education credits.
FMI Corporation is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417. Website: www.nasba.org.
Group Live | Intermediate | Complete assessments prior to attending
Customized In-House Training
FMI is the industry leader in training for the engineering and construction industry and delivers more than 300 customized training programs for our contractor clients each year. Our professional trainers will come to your company and deliver training at your site. We will customize any of our seminars or workshops to meet the specific requirements of your firm to fit your schedule. Contact Ken Wilson, FMI Director, at 919.785.9238.
What the Attendees Are Saying...
- “Many of the managers in my company have been through this program and I see how this has benefitted them and benefited me as an employee with them. I feel that the tools that I have learned here will benefit me and those who I work with that report to me”
- Jeff Petrini, Energy Manager, A-C Electric Co.
- “I thought all of the topics were not only relevant to the industry but also extremely helpful for me moving forward in my career. At times, it really pushed me back and made me look at what/how I’m currently doing things. [The program is designed with a] very relaxed, open platform. Getting the group involved was great”
- Zach Branham, Project Engineer, Barnard Construction Company, Inc.
- “This course helped my understanding of my co-workers and clients that will continue after this course, in improving my work and output. More importantly, I understand myself better along with how my attitude and behavior affects others”
- Kenny Graff, Project Manager, Facchina Group of Companies, LLC
- “My biggest takeaway was learning about the different personalities we encounter and how we can interact with them better. Also, the tools I can use to manage time better are very helpful”
- Krystine Concepcion, Manganaro
- “[Emerging Managers Institute] was a well-developed program with easy flow, great group development and utilizing personalities to help push ideas, projects, discussions and an easy and fun learning environment”
- Troy Mardesen, Project Manager, Helix Systems, Inc.
- “I found this to be an outstanding training, which provided me with an assortment of tools to effect positive change in both my personal performance and that of my teams. Both presenters were engaging and well-versed. I will highly recommend this training moving forward”
- Andy Carpenter, Estimator, ConeTec Inc.
- “FMI presented different ways to handle stress related issues at work and how to try and approach depending on your personality. [The program also provided a thorough] lesson of team personalities. I am looking forward to using these items moving forward with my career headed towards a more leadership role”
- Nick Bonacci, L.F. Driscoll Company.
- “[The] presenters engaged the students and in some cases got me out of my comfort zone, which lead to realization of some harsh realities that need to be addressed in my life/work and personal relationships”
- Thomas Rodgers, S.W. Rodgers Company, Inc.