Emerging Managers Institute
Why Emerging Managers Need This Program
Who will run your construction company when you’re gone?
What are you doing to prepare your emerging managers to become your successors to manage and lead your company into the future?
Just being a technically-skilled builder is not good enough in today’s competitive construction market. Industry research shows that the construction industry has done a good job of developing the knowledge base and technical skills of employees, but a poor job of developing management skills. Although people need to have a solid foundation of technical knowledge, the most successful leaders of the future will have also developed strong management, leadership and business skills in order to grow their company’s profitability.
If you have any questions about the program or the topics we will cover, please contact Ken Wilson, FMI director, at 919.785.9238.
Who Should Attend
General Contractors | Specialty Contractors | Highway Contractors | Engineers |
Project Executives, Project Managers, Project Engineers, Estimators, Departmental managers, Superintendents and anyone in a supervisory position or those who will be assuming supervisory responsibilities are encouraged to attend.
Here are some of the many benefits to attending the EMI:
- Identify your own communications style and learn practical skills for dealing with different types of individuals.
- Learn the difference between leadership and management and gain insight into what it takes to be an effective leader every day.
- Understand how to create a culture of accountability, gain respect and develop people to achieve superior performance.
- Build productive long-term client relationships with a strong commitment to customer satisfaction that will help turn your clients into “raving fans.”
- Learn new behaviors to improve your time mastery skills and improve your personal productivity.
- Develop your individual action plan that can be tracked and monitored over time to ensure lasting benefits from attending this program.
How Your Company Will Benefit
Industry demographic trends show an inevitable shortage of competent managers to take over the next generation of construction company manager positions. The FMI Emerging Managers Institute has been one of our most successful, interactive programs for more than 25 years. This workshop is designed to provide practical business management skills to build effective leaders for the future.
Meet Other Emerging Managers
Participants will have many opportunities to exchange ideas and interact with their peers, who are experiencing the same challenges as they take on new responsibilities. The course design encourages collaboration and includes a networking reception for participants at the end of the first day.
What the Attendees Are Saying...
- "Outstanding program. Would recommend this to all my team and will get my direct reports scheduled for upcoming programs." — Christian Leese, Regional Manager, Pauley Construction, Ontario, Calif.
- "The program was great. Keep up the good work! I am especially impressed with the attention to INTEGRITY. This is so important, and we often overlook this important piece." — Nick Cox, Project Manager, Facchina Construction, Co., La Plata, Md.
- "I think this was most beneficial to me–to be able to relate to others in my same position at other companies." — Robert Sengelmann, Field Engineer, Barriere Construction Co., Inc., Metairie, La.
- "This is my second visit to FMI. The courses are great. I left the class feeling very positive with almost a new sense of being. I picked up a few good goals, plans, concepts to bring back to work, home and family." — Craig Trombly, Project Manager, Lawrence-Lynch Corp., Hampton, Va.
- “Great material. Instructors keep you really involved. Lots of energy.” — Cecil Fleming, Foreman, TDIndustries, Inc., Houston, Texas
- “Excellent program that provides tools that can be implemented immediately to obtain better life/work balance.” — Rob Dolacki, Construction Manager, Stevens Engineers & Constructors, Inc., Lorain, Ohio
- “One of the better leadership and training programs I’ve attended. Information seemed accurate, relevant and current to today’s markets and environment. I was happy to see the recognition and focus made towards personalities and generational differences and constraints. Good tools were presented and made clear that they were tools for me to apply.” — Michael O’Donnell, Project Manager, Lead Lease US Construction, Inc.
- “Very informative. Exceptional process of getting us to change our way of thinking/perception of others in the industry” — Brian Garrett, Estimator, New River Electrical Corp., Cloverdale, Va.
- “Outstanding! Great job to both presenters engaging and involving all participants.” — James Solano, Vice President, A. Pickett Construction, Inc., Kingston, Pa.
- “Relevant content; eye opening experience; outstanding instructors.” — Tony DeLuca, Controller, Stevens Engineers & Constructors, Middleburg Heights, Ohio
- “Excellent. Presentation was fresh and different, as well as the consistent enthusiasm of the presenters. Both made the experience ‘not just another course’.” — Chris Ross, Lead Lease US Construction, Inc., Atlanta, Ga.
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m — Reception
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Developing the Leader Within
- Clarify the difference between management and leadership
- Define your leadership style, motivations, and what energizes you
- Lead the process of change within your organization
- Define the qualities and attributes of influential leaders
- Introduce the Peak Leader Model
Building Organizational Excellence
- Enhance interaction and motivate your team by understanding generational and personality differences
- Discuss a culture of accountability, gaining respect, and developing people into superstars
- Employ internal and external networking strategies that yield results
- Develop effective networking techniques
Creating a Highly Motivated, High-Performance Team
- Define effective communication and necessary actions to enhancing feedback
- Identify the unique characteristics of your people and ways to treat each of them in the way they want to be treated
- Use mentoring to motivate effective change
Managing your Time, Priorities and Projects
- Take a critical look at how you manage your time during the day/week
- Discuss obstacles to improved productivity
- Identify specific ways you can improve your time management, productivity and personal effectiveness with the support of the Time Mastery Profile
Defining Critical Customer Relationships
- Build long-term client relations by developing self-awareness of effective communication techniques and instituting customer-focused networking
- Leverage your management role into a key client relationship anchor
- View every service interaction as an opportunity to build customer loyalty
- Develop an attitude for unsurpassed customer service
- Learn how market research leverages your competitive advantage
- Write specific action items that will be tracked and monitored over a specified period of time
- Differentiate between personal action items and items that will be addressed organizationally as suggestions to your firm
We are excited to know you are interested in attending our Emerging Mangers Institute. Although the program will be intense, we are confident you will enjoy meeting and networking with other managers, learning more about your management capabilities; as well as discovering how to become a more effective leader. Below are pre-work requirements to get you started.
Preparation Begins Before Attending
There are two prerequisites you must complete prior to attending. They are the Time Mastery Profile (TMP) and the ProScan®. You will receive two separate emails with links for the surveys/assessments.
Time Mastery Profile
The Time Mastery Profile must be completed by you. A link will be emailed to you from Inscape-Epic (check your spam filter). This survey will take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete.
The Time Mastery Profile provides insight about how you manage time, projects and people. We will review the surveys during the course of the Emerging Managers Institute.
The ProScan® behavioral assessment test is administered over the internet. Your logon ID and Password will be provided to you via email. The ProScan® should take about 10 minutes to complete.
All pre-work must be completed at least one-week prior to attending the session.
Travel & Accommodations
When making flight arrangements, please plan to arrive the day before the start date as EMI begins at 8:00 a.m. the first day. Departure flights should be booked no earlier than 4:30 p.m. on the final day. If a departure flight is not available after 4:30 p.m. to your return destination, you have the option to stay at the hotel an additional night at your expense.
You will need to take a taxi to the hotel upon arrival. FMI will arrange for transportation to and from the Embassy Suites Raleigh–Crabtree each day and back to the airport on the last day. If you want to explore other venues in the evening, you may want to rent a car or you can take a taxi. The hotel is in walking distance to the Crabtree Valley Mall.
FMI has reserved a block of room at the Embassy Suites Raleigh–Crabtree. We urge you to reserve a room as soon as you plan to attend this event, be sure to ask for the "FMI" room block. If you have any trouble obtaining a room, please contact our event coordinator who can provide you with a list of additional hotels in the vicinity.
Embassy Suites Raleigh–Crabtree
4700 Creedmoore Road
Raleigh, NC 27612
Customized In-House Training
FMI is the industry leader in training for the engineering and construction industry and delivers more than 300 customized training programs for our contractor clients each year. Our professional trainers will come to your company and deliver training at your site. We will customize any of our seminars or workshops to meet the specific requirements of your firm to fit your schedule. Contact Ken Wilson, FMI Director, at 919.785.9238.
Fees, Cancellation and Policies
Tuition includes all workbook materials, program instruction, lunches, refreshment breaks and the networking reception. Dinners, lodging and hotel expenses are not included.
The registration fee for the Emerging Managers Institute is:
- $2,295 for the first attendee
- $2,050 each for each additional attendee from the same company.
Payment will be collected at time of registration.
The program is held at the FMI Training Center (5171 Glenwood Avenue, Raleigh, N.C., 27612). Transportation between the FMI Training Center and the Embassy Suites Raleigh–Crabtree will be provided.
If you would like to make any name changes or cancel participants, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an email response once your request has been processed. If we receive your written cancellation at least five business days before the program, we will refund your tuition. Otherwise, your tuition will be converted to a non-refundable credit you may apply toward any FMI product or program for a full year.
Please note: If the event is canceled due to insufficient registrations, your registration fee will be refunded. However, FMI cannot be held accountable for nonrefundable airline tickets or other expenses related to your travel to the event.
For questions regarding FMI's Cancellation policy, please call 800.877.1364.
FMI reserves the right to change, add, or cancel programs according to the needs of the industry.
Dress for the program is business casual. Weather in Raleigh varies. We recommend that you check the weather for the area prior to packing. Click here to see a 10-day forecast; just scroll down the page once linked.
After 55-plus years of helping the construction industry enhance performance, productivity, and profitability, we believe you will return home with the tools and information to make a difference in your work. If for any reason you are not satisfied, please inform us by calling 800.877.1364. We will refund your tuition or give you a credit to use at another FMI program.
Continuing Education Credits
Attendees can earn up to 18 hours of continuing education credits by completing the program. At the conclusion of the program, participants will receive a certificate of completion that can be submitted to the licensing board of their choice for continuing education credits.
FMI Corporation is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417. Website: www.nasba.org.
Group Live | Intermediate | Complete assessments prior to attending