Ownership Transfer and Succession Planning for Your Business
February 29-March 2, 2016
Whether your primary goal is to define your legacy, provide an opportunity for the next generation or maximize your financial proceeds, this comprehensive, three-day, executive conference is a must attend. Limited to just 40 attendees, participants have the undivided attention and focus of FMI’s professional team. Educating owners of construction companies about the options available for transferring ownership of a business to employees or family members, this program addresses in depth the issues surrounding management succession planning, leadership development, estate planning, valuation and stock transfer techniques. It assists owners in understanding the available alternatives and choosing a path best suited to meet the company’s long-term objectives. At the end, you will leave with the basis for a personal action plan to solve ownership transfer problems with confidence and success.
Benefits of Attending
- Understanding tax and corporate matters impacting stock transfer techniques
- Examining ownership transfer methodologies and the relative benefits and drawbacks of specific transfer methodologies
- Learning the keys to evaluating and developing successful future leaders for the company
- Gaining a full understanding of the business continuity planning process and your role in making the plan a reality
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for Business Owners, Presidents, Chairmen, CEOs, CFOs, COOs and employees targeted as future owners.
We encourage companies to send multiple team members to participate in this workshop to foster greater cohesion and accountability and spark the thought process. Several team members participating in the workshop will multiply the benefit throughout your organization.
Unable to Attend?
Planning to sell your company, but unable to attend this program? Call us if you would like to discuss your firm’s succession strategy or how to improve the value of your firm for an internal or third-party sale. Our experienced investment bankers can help you develop a plan to meet your objectives. Contact Landon Funsten at email@example.com or via phone at 919.785.9284.
If you have any questions about the program or the topics we will cover, please contact the program director, Landon, at 919.785.9284 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overview of Ownership Transfer and Management Succession
- Define components and steps to the business succession process
- Identify key facts and assumptions common to the industry
- Understand the effects of inadequate planning and develop appropriate strategies
Defining Goals, Objectives and Key Issues
- Identify the key stakeholders in your business succession plan
- Review goals and issues each stakeholder group should consider
- Determine how to integrate the various, and often competing, perspectives of each group
Introduction to Incentive Compensation
Evaluating Your Leadership Pipeline
- Understand how to evaluate the best potential leaders and successor candidates
- Identify gaps in current leadership positions and planning
- Review ways to tie leadership development to organizational needs and strategy
- Learn why you need to determine the value of your company
- Use qualitative and quantitative analysis to examine valuation methods
- Discuss the realities of the buying and selling process based on current market conditions
Buy-Sell Agreements and Estate Planning
Techniques and Issues of Internal Transfer
- Review ways corporate structures could impact your situation
- Learn about different approaches to transferring ownership
- Identify advantages and disadvantages of each method
Incentive Compensation and Ownership Transition
- Hear about pitfalls and best practices when designing and implementing short-term incentive compensation plans
- Explore different methods for retaining key talent through long-term incentive plans like phantom stock and stock appreciation rights
- Learn how long-term incentive compensation plans can facilitate ownership transfer
- Reflect and identify specific, actionable items to complete relative to ownership transfer and management succession
- Map out detailed follow-up for when you return to your company
- Share action items with facilitators and other participants to strengthen depth of goals
About the Program Directors
Landon R. Funsten Sr. Managing Director, FMI Capital Advisors, Inc.
Landon works extensively with contractors throughout the country, focusing on buyer and seller representation, business continuity and stock valuations.
Jake Appelman Principal, FMI’s Center for Strategic Leadership
Jake leads FMI’s management succession practice and has extensive experience guiding the succession process across a range of company sizes and structures, from closely held family firms to large, employee-owned firms. His approach involves a rigorous, assessment-based process to identify, select and develop the next generation of leaders.
Travel & Accommodations
When making flight arrangements, please plan to arrive the day before the start date as OTMS begins at 8:00 a.m. the first day. Departure flights should be booked no earlier than 4:30 p.m. on the final day. If a departure flight is not available after 4:30 p.m. to your return destination, you have the option to stay at the hotel an additional night at your expense.
We urge you to reserve a room as soon as you plan to attend this event. Be sure to ask for the "FMI" room block. If you have any trouble obtaining a room, please contact our event coordinator who can provide you with a list of additional hotels in the vicinity.
FMI has reserved a block of rooms at the La Quinta Resort & Club. To ensure availability, book your hotel room as soon as possible.La Quinta Resort & Club
49-499 Eisenhower Drive
La Quinta, CA 92253
Fees, Cancellation and Policies
FeesTuition includes a confidential, one-on-one consultation with a FMI Investment Banker, all workbook materials, program instruction and refreshment breaks. Meals and lodging are not included.
- $2,000 first attendee
- $1,500 for each additional attendee from the same company
- $500 Spouses attend for a special rate
Payment will be collected at time of registration.
If you need to cancel your registration, please note that you will be subject to a $395 administrative cancellation fee per registrant. We need to receive your written cancellation at least five business days before the program in order to refund your remaining tuition. Otherwise, your tuition will be converted to a nonrefundable credit you may apply toward any FMI program for one full year. Please email us at email@example.com to submit your cancellation request.
Please note: If FMI cancels the event, your registration fee will be refunded. However, FMI cannot be held accountable for non-refundable airline tickets or other expenses related to your travel to the event.
For questions regarding FMI's Cancellation policy, please call 800.877.1364.
FMI reserves the right to change, add, or cancel programs according to the needs of the industry.
If you would like to make any name changes or substitute participants please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Substitutions can be made up to five business days prior to the start of the program.
Dress code for this seminar is Business Attire. Weather in Arizona varies. We recommend that you check the weather for the area prior to packing.
If for any reason you are not satisfied, please inform us by calling 800.877.1364. We will refund your tuition or give you a credit to use at another FMI program.
Continuing Education Credits
You can earn up to 18 hours of continuing education credits by completing this program. A certificate of completion will be awarded to you at the conclusion of the program. You may use this certificate for self-reporting purposes to many state and local continuing education entities.
FMI Corporation is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417. Website: www.nasba.org.
Group Live | Advanced | No Advanced Preparation Required