Project Manager Academy
We Build Project Leaders
The techniques of managing projects are well-known. Training in scheduling, budgeting and cost tracking is available from many sources. But to graduate to the next level, to join the ranks of “best-in-class,” your project staff must learn to think and act like business owners. When projects break down, they have to feel like they are bleeding their own money. When customers are dissatisfied, your managers and staff must take it personally. When jobs are running smoothly, they must remain vigilant.
During this high-level, immersion experience, project delivery professionals examine themselves, their organizations and their processes. Transforming from talented builders into true construction entrepreneurs.
This high-level, immersion experience is built around four core themes, which are developed through intense, experience-based exercises, coaching from FMI’s industry experts and interactive guest lectures:
- Profitable customer relationship development
- Powerful, integrated project teams
- Financial control of your projects
- Planning projects for profits and customer satisfaction
The goal of this program is fundamental behavioral change. Stop your PMs from seeing his or herself as just another employee or a witness to project outcomes. Turn them into virtual owners who have a personal stake in project outcomes and the tools necessary to succeed.
Project Manager Academy begins weeks before attendees arrive with an in-depth 360° feedback survey and a personality and behavioral diagnostic. At the program, a variety of hands-on experiences, one-on-one coaching and small team sessions continue the development process through:
- A highly personalized feedback process
- Analyzing and interpreting behavior preferences and communication styles
- Developing a personal action plan to capitalize on assets and compensate for weaknesses
What the Attendees Are Saying...
- "I now understand how I can take an active role in our company’s future."
- “If you are not moving forward, you are moving back. This PMA propels you in the forward direction.”
- “I have always had the ability to manage people. Now I believe that I will become an effective leader to clients and peers.”
- "Great class for new PM’s or those interested in PM work. Should be required training at all construction companies
regardless of experience."
- "PMA is an experience you can’t mentally prepare for. It’s a career and life changing experience no matter what your
objectives are coming in."
- "FMI does a great job of pulling from life experiences which makes this course genuine and a real experience."
- "Working with a team and applying the course content has shown me how to apply what I've learned to my job."
- "The tools learned are not only a benefit to myself, but to others around me. My peers and family will benefit from the lessons learned by FMI PMA.”
- “A great way to learn how to lead rather than just successfully manage.”
- "This program is a learning experience that can benefit the full spectrum of project managers. This program is NOT a seminar. You will leave with tools and insight to improve your abilities."
- "This is the best program I have ever attended. It will be highly recommended to all employees and managers I know.
Great job FMI!"
- “You think you are coming to learn the tools of PM’s in construction. You leave a better leader with an action plan to significantly improve yourself.”
- "PMA is a great opportunity to develop personal PM skills and raise the conduct of the industry as a whole."
- "Eye opening!"
- "FMI presented a cohesive and engaging forum throughout. It kept me interested throughout the week."
- "Coming to FMI will allow you to better see how small changes can make big impacts."
- "It changes your aspect on work and life."
- "A great way to learn how to lead rather than just successfully manage."
Who Should Attend
Anyone interested in developing exceptional project delivery capabilities. Typically, this includes:
- General Contractors
- Architects and Engineers
- Project Executives
- Project Managers
- Project Engineers
- Vice Presidents
There is benefit in having several team members experience Project Manager Academy. The principles will multiply throughout your organization. Companies send their team members in pairs to foster greater cohesion and accountability.
Our Project Manager Academy is quickly becoming the best-known in the industry for teaching project managers how to think like entrepreneurs. The PMA is where talented builders become construction entrepreneurs. In this video, follow four project managers as they use the Project Manager Academy as a tool to reach their own personal goals.
If your movie is taking a considerable time to play, you may need to download the low-bandwidth file.
FMI's Project Manager Academy is a tightly structured, four-day program in which project-delivery professionals examine themselves, their organizations and their processes in comparison with best-in-class performance through a variety of hands-on experiences.
8:00 a.m. — 6:00 p.m.
Dinner with team in Raleigh (not provided)
8:00 a.m. — 7:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. — 7:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. — 3:00 p.m.
Transportation to airport provided if needed
Management and Leadership
- Define a “good” project manager.
- Differentiate between leadership and management.
- Understand the keys to leading well.
- Relate the importance of motivating and energizing your team to their performance.
- Identify what is necessary to develop a complete end-to-end project delivery plan.
- Organize and structure project plan information for communicating with the project team.
- Document the project plan effectively.
- Generate and gain positive project momentum.
- Identify and share key project issues, strategies, methods and milestones.
- Make use of checklists.
- Initiate effective communication with the project team.
- Create and maintain a cooperative team environment.
- Understand the importance of feedback in personal and professional development.
- Understand the impact of organizational culture on honest feedback.
- Understand how ProScan and 360° feedback is used at the PMA.
- Adjust working and communication strategies based on personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Understand the value of the customer.
- Use tools to develop an appropriate, client-centered response to issues.
- Implement a customer-focused strategy for your project and firm.
- Understand that it’s about self-management more than time management.
- Discover the keys to delegation and prioritization.
- Understand the importance of life balance and its contribution to our overall productivity.
- Gain insight into personal strengths and weaknesses regarding your mastery of time.
Billings, Cash Flow and Closeout
- Continually monitor and act on the project’s current cash situation.
- Understand how individual project cash flows impact company performance.
- Aggressively bill your projects.
- Assume a proactive role in receiving payment.
- Effectively drive project closeout.
Project Productivity and Financial Management
- Recognize the relationship between productivity and profitability.
- Use work-in-progress (WIP) reports to manage your project.
- Look at earned value.
- Discover three types of financial statements as management tools.
- Clarify change-order philosophy and process with customers before jobs start.
- Identify and evaluate all changes.
- Identify cost and schedule implications of changes.
- Use changes as an opportunity to sell increased value.
- Show customer benefits of change orders.
Standards and Best Practices in Project Management
- Explain the benefits of identifying and using standard procedures derived from best practices.
- Use flowcharting to understand, develop and improve standard procedures on the project or in your company.
- Communicate standard procedures to project teams.
- Establish a team culture in which best practices are embraced and leveraged.
- Identify situations in which it is appropriate to use nonstandard procedures.
Ethics and Integrity in Project Management
- Leverage the project management role into a key client relationship anchor.
- Build relationships with existing clients leading to repeat work opportunities.
Develop Your Personal Action Plan
- Write specific action items that you will track and monitor over a specified period of time.
- Differentiate between personal action items and items that will be addressed organizationally as suggestions for your company.
Be a Project Leader, Not a Project Witness
- Improve the use of your personal style to lead others to make changes back on the job.
- Use the participant manual by adding to it and referring to it.
- Understand and believe that each participant now has the tools and potential not only to lead projects but also to be recognized as a leader in his or her firm.
There are three prerequisites you need to complete prior to attending the Project Manager Academy. They are a Time Mastery profile (Inscape Epic), ProScan® Assessment and a 360° Feedback report (Vision View). You will receive three separate emails with links for the three surveys/assessments.
Work Begins Before Attending
- The Time Mastery Profile needs to be completed by you. A link will be emailed to you from Inscape-Epic (check your spam filter). This survey will take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete.
The Time Mastery Profile provides insight about how you manage time, projects and people. The results and interpretation of your individual survey will be provided during the course of the Project Manager Academy.
- The ProScan® Assessment is administered over the internet. Your logon ID and Password will be provided to you via email. The assessment should take about 10 minutes to complete.
The ProScan® report measures:
- How a person functions most naturally
- The role a person feels they need to play
- How a person predictably comes across to others
- Energy resources
- Satisfaction index
- Stress levels
- Energy drain
- The 360° Feedback compares how you see yourself and how others perceive you based on collected feedback. Your managers, peers, customers, direct reports and others are invited to provide anonymous ratings and comments on a variety of skill, knowledge, ability and behavioral areas. These ratings and comments are combined to provide you with a comprehensive report to assist in personal and professional development.
You will receive a link to access the VisionView website with instructions on how to complete the survey. Also send the link to the individuals you have selected to complete the survey. Engage at least 10 others to complete the 360° feedback, including your immediate supervisor, three associates or peers, one direct report, one customer and one subcontractor or vendor.
Results are confidential to you and your FMI facilitator. Although the assessment only takes about an hour to complete, FMI recommends beginning the process two weeks prior to attending the program to allow enough time for the surveys to be completed.
All pre-work is due one week prior to your PMA session start date.
About the Instructors
FMI's Project Manager Academy instructors are committed to bringing their talents, energy and passion together to develop world-class project delivery experts in the construction industry. The faculty includes senior level FMI staff, who posses both project management knowledge and experience.
In addition to coaching at the Project Manager Academy, the instructors are highly respected consultants, authors and thought-leaders in the construction industry around the world.
Ethan Cowles is a senior consultant with FMI, management consultants and investment bankers for the construction industry. Ethan has worked with both general and self-performing contractors helping them to develop a strong understanding of the financial risks and rewards inherent to operational issues. Ethan assists these contractors to maximize productivity and minimize risk by implementing proactive management processes. Read Ethan's bio here.
Travel & Accommodations
In keeping with their best-in-class goals, students will be lodged in individual rooms at a hotel convenient to the training.
When making flight arrangements, please plan to arrive the day before the start date as PMA begins at 8:00 a.m. the first day. Departure flights should be booked no earlier than 5:30 p.m. on the final day. If a departure flight is not available after 5:30 p.m., to your return destination, you have the option to stay at the hotel an additional night at your expense.
You will need to take a taxi to the hotel upon arrival. FMI will arrange for transportation between the Residence Inn Raleigh Crabtree and the FMI Training Center each day and back to the airport on the last day. If you choose to stay at a different hotel you will be responsible for providing your own transportation to/from the training center. If you want to explore other venues in the evening, you may want to rent a car or you can take a taxi. The Crabtree Valley Mall is within walking distance of the hotel.
FMI has reserved a block of rooms at the Residence Inn Raleigh Crabtree. We urge you to reserve a room as soon as you plan to attend this event, be sure to ask for the "FMI" room block. If you have any trouble obtaining a room, please contact our event coordinator who can provide you with a list of additional hotels in the vicinity.
Residence Inn Raleigh Crabtree
2200 Summit Park Lane
Raleigh, NC 27612
Complimentary breakfast is provided at the hotel for all guests. We will have coffee, bottled water, and sodas provided during the day. Lunch will be catered each day and snacks will be available between meals. Dinner is catered in every night with the exception of the first evening when you are encouraged to enjoy exploring local restaurants with your team members.
Local Restaurants close to the Hotel
Crabtree Valley Mall Restaurants
Fees, Cancellation and Policies
The tuition includes all seminar instruction and materials, a certificate of completion and all meals except one dinner. Lodging is not included. Transportation to and from our recommended hotel and the training venue, as well as to the airport on the final day, is provided. Other transportation is not included.
The registration fee for Project Manager Academy is:
- $5,999 for the first attendee
- $5,499 for each additional attendee in the same session from the same company
For tuition and registration information, please contact:
Mary Bjelica at 919.785.9273 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
If you need to cancel your registration, please note that you will be subject to a $395 administrative cancellation fee per registrant. We need to receive your written cancellation at least five business days before the program in order to refund your remaining tuition. Otherwise, your tuition will be converted to a nonrefundable credit you may apply toward any FMI program for a full year. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your cancellation request.
Please note: If FMI cancels the event, your registration fee will be refunded. However, FMI cannot be held accountable for non-refundable airline tickets or other expenses related to your travel to the event.
For questions regarding FMI's Cancellation policy, please call 800.877.1364.
FMI reserves the right to change, add, or cancel programs according to the needs of the industry.
If you would like to make any name changes or substitute participants please email us at email@example.com. Substitutions can be made up to five business days prior to the start of the program.
Dress for the program is business casual. Weather in Raleigh varies. We recommend that you check the weather for the area prior to packing. Click here to see a 10-day forecast; just scroll down the page once linked.
After 60 years of helping the construction industry enhance performance, productivity, and profitability, we believe you will return home with the tools and information to make a difference in your work. If for any reason you are not satisfied, please inform us by calling 800.877.1364. We will refund your tuition or give you a credit to use at another FMI program.
Continuing Education Credits
You can earn up to 28 hours of continuing education credits by completing the program. A certificate of completion will be awarded to you at the conclusion of the program. You may use this certificate for self-reporting purposes to many state and local continuing education entities.
FMI corporation has been reviewed and approved as a provider of project training for the Project Management Institute (PMI).
FMI Corporation is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417. Website: www.nasba.org.
Group Live | Intermediate | Complete assessment prior to attending