Project Manager Academy
May 16-19, 2016
July 18-21, 2016
August 15-18, 2016
We Build Project LeadersThe basic techniques for managing projects — scheduling, budgeting and cost-tracking — are well-known and available from many sources. But to join the ranks of “Best in Class,” your project staff must learn to think and act like business owners with their own money and success at stake.
FMI’s Project Manager Academy is built around four core themes:
- Profitable customer relationship development
- Powerful, integrated project teams
- Financial control of projects
- Planning projects for profits and customer satisfaction
During this high-level, immersion experience, project managers and staff examine themselves, their organizations and their processes, learning how to transform themselves from talented builders into true construction entrepreneurs.
The Academy Way of Thinking
The greatest distinction between project managers and entrepreneurs is how much personal stake the individual has in a project’s success. While both are self-directed to coordinate talents and resources in order to provide profitable customer service, entrepreneurs consider a project success a personal success and a project failure a personal failure. In short, entrepreneurs have a compelling sense of ownership in their work.
Attitude of personal ownership toward a project sets a higher standard for performance.
Four days of tough, no-nonsense, total immersion into the business of construction will fast-forward each attendee’s knowledge, decision-making skills and leadership abilities so they leave the PMA thinking and acting like construction entrepreneurs for every project.
For more information, please contact...Principal: Ethan Cowles | 303.398.7276
Registration and Program Information: Michelle Anysz | 919.785.9298
Pre-Work and Logistics (hotel, program transportation, etc.): Mary Bjelica | 919.785.9273
Who Should Attend
Anyone interested in developing exceptional project delivery capabilities:
- General Contractors
- Specialty Contractors
- Architects and Engineers
- Project Executives
- Project Managers
- Project Engineers
- Vice Presidents
Companies often find great benefit in having several team members experience Project Management Academy at the same time because it provides accountability and helps the principles multiply throughout the organization.
FMI's Project Manager Academy is a tightly structured, four-day program in which project-delivery professionals examine themselves, their organizations and their processes in comparison with best-in-class performance through a variety of hands-on experiences.
8:00 a.m. — 6:00 p.m.
Dinner not provided
8:00 a.m. — 7:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. — 7:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. — 3:00 p.m.
Transportation to airport provided if needed
Management and Leadership
- Define a “good” project manager
- Differentiate between leadership and management
- Identify the keys to leading well
- Distinguish between team motivation and performance
Project Planning and Startup
- Identify what’s needed to create and complete an end-to-end project delivery plan
- Organize for optimal communication
- Document the project plan effectively
- Generate positive project momentum
- Identify key project issues, strategies, methods and milestones
- Initiate team communication, cooperation and collaboration
- Recognize the importance of feedback
- Describe the ways organizational culture impacts feedback
- Use ProScan and 360° feedback to adjust strategies
- Explain the value of the customer to the individual, project and company
- Use tools and strategies to develop a customer-focused strategy
- Explain the role of self-management in time-management
- Delegate and prioritize
- Describe the importance of life balance for productivity
- Analyze your time-management strengths and weaknesses
Billings, Cash Flow and Closeout
- Continually monitor the project’s cash situation
- Understand how project cash flows impact company performance
- Bill your projects, receive payment and effectively drive project closeout
Project Productivity and Financial Management
- Differentiate between productivity and profitability
- Use financial statements as management tools
- Implement WIP and earned value reports
- Clarify change-order philosophy
- Identify changes and their cost and schedule implications
- Use changes as an opportunity to sell increased value
Standards and Best Practices in Project Management
- Identify standard procedures derived from best practices
- Use flowcharting to develop standard procedures
- Communicate standard procedures to project teams
- Establish a team culture
Ethics and Integrity in Project Management
- Leverage the PM role into a key client relationship anchor
- Build relationships with existing clients for repeat work opportunities
Your Personal Action Plan
- Determine specific items to track and monitor
- Differentiate between personal and organizational action items
- Be a project leader, not a project witness
There are three prerequisites you need to complete prior to attending the Project Manager Academy. They are a Time Mastery profile (Inscape Epic), ProScan® Assessment and a 360° Feedback report (Vision View). You will receive three separate emails with links for the three surveys/assessments.
Work Begins Before Attending
- The Time Mastery Profile needs to be completed by you. A link will be emailed to you from Inscape-Epic (check your spam filter). This survey will take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete.
The Time Mastery Profile provides insight about how you manage time, projects and people. The results and interpretation of your individual survey will be provided during the course of the Project Manager Academy.
- The ProScan® Assessment is administered over the internet. You will receive an email with a link to the assessment, which should take about 10 minutes to complete.
The ProScan® report measures:
- How a person functions most naturally
- The role a person feels they need to play
- How a person predictably comes across to others
- Energy resources
- Satisfaction index
- Stress levels
- Energy drain
- The 360° Feedback compares how you see yourself and how others perceive you based on collected feedback. Your managers, peers, customers, direct reports and others are invited to provide anonymous ratings and comments on a variety of skill, knowledge, ability and behavioral areas. These ratings and comments are combined to provide you with a comprehensive report to assist in personal and professional development.
You will receive a link to access the VisionView website with instructions on how to complete the survey. Also send the link to the individuals you have selected to complete the survey. Engage at least 10 others to complete the 360° feedback, including your immediate supervisor, three associates or peers, one direct report, one customer and one subcontractor or vendor.
Results are confidential to you and your FMI facilitator. Although the assessment only takes about an hour to complete, FMI recommends beginning the process two weeks prior to attending the program to allow enough time for the surveys to be completed.
- FMI's Feedback Survey - In preparation for the upcoming Project Manager Academy, we would like to gather some of your thoughts about our industry. The responses are anonymous; individual names and company information will not be shared. This information, in aggregate, will help the Project Manager Academy facilitators focus on the items and topics that are the most useful. You will be sent an email invitation with a link to the survey.
All pre-work is due at least two weeks prior to your Project Manager Academy session start date.
Travel & Accommodations
In keeping with their best-in-class goals, students should be lodged in individual rooms at a hotel convenient to the training.
When making flight arrangements, please plan to arrive the day before the start date as PMA begins at 8:00 a.m. the first day. Departure flights should be booked no earlier than 5:30 p.m. on the final day. If a departure flight is not available after 5:30 p.m., to your return destination, you have the option to stay at the hotel an additional night at your expense.
You will need to take a taxi to the hotel upon arrival. FMI will arrange for transportation between the Residence Inn Raleigh Crabtree and the FMI Training Center each day and back to the airport on the last day. If you choose to stay at a different hotel you will be responsible for providing your own transportation to/from the training center. If you want to explore other venues in the evening, you may want to rent a car or you can take a taxi. The Crabtree Valley Mall is within walking distance of the hotel.
Hotel – May 16-19, 2016 and July 18-21, 2016
FMI has reserved a block of rooms at the Residence Inn Raleigh Crabtree. We urge you to reserve a room as soon as you plan to attend this event, be sure to ask for the "FMI" room block. If you have any trouble obtaining a room, please contact our event coordinator who can provide you with a list of additional hotels in the vicinity.
Residence Inn Raleigh Crabtree
2200 Summit Park Lane
Raleigh, NC 27612
In order to get the discount lodging price, you must call the Residence Inn Crabtree at 919-279-3000 and ask for the "FMI Project Manager Academy" room block.
MAY SESSION = Reservation cut-off date is Friday, April 22, 2016
JULY SESSION = Reservation cut-off date is Friday, June 24, 2016
Complimentary breakfast is provided at the hotel for all guests. We will have coffee, bottled water, and sodas provided during the day. Lunch will be catered each day and snacks will be available between meals. Dinner is catered in every night with the exception of the first evening when you are encouraged to enjoy exploring local restaurants with your team members.
Local Restaurants close to the Hotel
Crabtree Valley Mall Restaurants
You will need to take a taxi to the hotel upon arrival. If you choose to stay at a different hotel you will be responsible for providing your own transportation to/from the training. If you want to explore other venues in the evening, you may want to rent a car or you can take a taxi.
Hotel – August 15-18, 2016
3801 Quebec Street
Denver, CO 80207
In order to get the discount lodging price, you must call the Renaissance Hotel 800-468-3571 or 303-399-7500 and ask for the "FMI Project Manager Academy" room block.
Reservation cut-off date is Friday, July 22, 2016
Fees, Cancellation and Policies
The tuition includes all seminar instruction and materials, a certificate of completion and all meals except one dinner. Lodging is not included. Transportation to and from our recommended hotel and the training venue, as well as to the airport on the final day, is provided. Other transportation is not included.
The registration fee for Project Manager Academy is:
- $6,500 for the first attendee
- $6,000 for each additional attendee in the same session from the same company
Michelle Anysz | 919.785.9298
If you need to cancel your registration, please note that you will be subject to a $395 administrative cancellation fee per registrant. We need to receive your written cancellation at least five business days before the program in order to refund your remaining tuition. Otherwise, your tuition will be converted to a nonrefundable credit you may apply toward any FMI program for a full year. Please email us at email@example.com to submit your cancellation request.
Please note: If FMI cancels the event, your registration fee will be refunded. However, FMI cannot be held accountable for nonrefundable airline tickets or other expenses related to your travel to the event.
For questions regarding FMI's cancellation policy, please call 800.877.1364.
FMI reserves the right to change, add or cancel programs according to the needs of the industry.
If you would like to make any name changes or substitute participants please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Substitutions can be made up to five business days prior to the start of the program.
After 60 years of helping the construction industry enhance performance, productivity, and profitability, we believe you will return home with the tools and information to make a difference in your work. If for any reason you are not satisfied, please inform us by calling 800.877.1364. We will refund your tuition or give you a credit to use at another FMI program.
Continuing Education Credits
You can earn up to 28 hours of continuing education credits by completing the program. A certificate of completion will be awarded to you at the conclusion of the program. You may use this certificate for self-reporting purposes to many state and local continuing education entities.
FMI corporation has been reviewed and approved as a provider of project training for the Project Management Institute (PMI).
FMI Corporation is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417. Website: www.nasba.org.
Group Live | Intermediate | Complete assessment prior to attending
What the Attendees Are Saying...
- “The most valuable part of the course was self-reflection and the understanding that I have the sole ability to change my environment.”
- "I now understand how I can take an active role in our company’s future."
- “If you are not moving forward, you are moving back. This PMA propels you in the forward direction.”
- “I have always had the ability to manage people. Now I believe that I will become an effective leader to clients and peers.”
- “Words can’t express what I have gained and what I will take away from this experience.”
- "Great class for new PM’s or those interested in PM work. Should be required training at all construction companies
regardless of experience."
- "PMA is an experience you can’t mentally prepare for. It’s a career and life changing experience no matter what your
objectives are coming in."
- "FMI does a great job of pulling from life experiences which makes this course genuine and a real experience."
- “Great at getting me to think about my role as a leader in different environments. I need to be a leader all of the time!”
- "Working with a team and applying the course content has shown me how to apply what I've learned to my job."
- "The tools learned are not only a benefit to myself, but to others around me. My peers and family will benefit from the lessons learned by FMI PMA.”
- “A great way to learn how to lead rather than just successfully manage.”
- "This program is a learning experience that can benefit the full spectrum of project managers. This program is NOT a seminar. You will leave with tools and insight to improve your abilities."
- "This is the best program I have ever attended. It will be highly recommended to all employees and managers I know.
Great job FMI!"
- “You think you are coming to learn the tools of PM’s in construction. You leave a better leader with an action plan to significantly improve yourself.”
- "PMA is a great opportunity to develop personal PM skills and raise the conduct of the industry as a whole."
- "Eye opening!"
- "FMI presented a cohesive and engaging forum throughout. It kept me interested throughout the week."
- "Coming to FMI will allow you to better see how small changes can make big impacts."
- "It changes your aspect on work and life."
- "A great way to learn how to lead rather than just successfully manage."