Project Manager Academy
October 17-20, 2016
November 14-17, 2016
December 12-15, 2016
|Explore FMI’s Signature Programs Infographic|
We Build Project LeadersThe basic techniques for managing projects — scheduling, budgeting and cost-tracking — are well-known and available from many sources. But to join the ranks of “Best in Class,” your project staff must learn to think and act like business owners with their own money and success at stake.
FMI’s Project Manager Academy is built around four core themes:
- Profitable customer relationship development
- Powerful, integrated project teams
- Financial control of projects
- Planning projects for profits and customer satisfaction
During this high-level, immersion experience, project managers and staff examine themselves, their organizations and their processes, learning how to transform themselves from talented builders into true construction entrepreneurs.
The Academy Way of Thinking
The greatest distinction between project managers and entrepreneurs is how much personal stake the individual has in a project’s success. While both are self-directed to coordinate talents and resources in order to provide profitable customer service, entrepreneurs consider a project success a personal success and a project failure a personal failure. In short, entrepreneurs have a compelling sense of ownership in their work.
Attitude of personal ownership toward a project sets a higher standard for performance.
Four days of tough, no-nonsense, total immersion into the business of construction will fast-forward each attendee’s knowledge, decision-making skills and leadership abilities so they leave the PMA thinking and acting like construction entrepreneurs for every project.
For more information, please contact...Principal: Ethan Cowles | 303.398.7276
Registration and Program Information: Michelle Anysz | 919.785.9298
Pre-Work and Logistics (hotel, program transportation, etc.): Mary Bjelica | 919.785.9273
Who Should Attend
Anyone from a General Contractor, Specialty Contractor or a Subcontractor who is interested in developing exceptional project delivery capabilities from. Examples include:
- Project Executives
- Project Managers
- Project Engineers
- Vice Presidents
- Architects and Engineers
FMI's Project Manager Academy is a tightly structured, four-day program in which project-delivery professionals examine themselves, their organizations and their processes in comparison with best-in-class performance through a variety of hands-on experiences.
8:00 a.m. — 6:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. — 7:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. — 7:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. — 3:00 p.m.
Management and Leadership
- Define a “good” project manager
- Differentiate between leadership and management
- Identify the keys to leading well
- Distinguish between team motivation and performance
Project Planning and Startup
- Identify what’s needed to create and complete an end-to-end project delivery plan
- Organize for optimal communication
- Document the project plan effectively
- Generate positive project momentum
- Identify key project issues, strategies, methods and milestones
- Initiate team communication, cooperation and collaboration
- Recognize the importance of feedback
- Describe the ways organizational culture impacts feedback
- Use ProScan and 360° feedback to adjust strategies
- Explain the value of the customer to the individual, project and company
- Use tools and strategies to develop a customer-focused strategy
- Explain the role of self-management in time-management
- Delegate and prioritize
- Describe the importance of life balance for productivity
- Analyze your time-management strengths and weaknesses
Billings, Cash Flow and Closeout
- Continually monitor the project’s cash situation
- Understand how project cash flows impact company performance
- Bill your projects, receive payment and effectively drive project closeout
Project Productivity and Financial Management
- Differentiate between productivity and profitability
- Use financial statements as management tools
- Implement WIP and earned value reports
- Clarify change-order philosophy
- Identify changes and their cost and schedule implications
- Use changes as an opportunity to sell increased value
Standards and Best Practices in Project Management
- Identify standard procedures derived from best practices
- Use flowcharting to develop standard procedures
- Communicate standard procedures to project teams
- Establish a team culture
Ethics and Integrity in Project Management
- Leverage the PM role into a key client relationship anchor
- Build relationships with existing clients for repeat work opportunities
Your Personal Action Plan
- Determine specific items to track and monitor
- Differentiate between personal and organizational action items
- Be a project leader, not a project witness
There are three prerequisites you need to complete prior to attending the Project Manager Academy. They are a Time Mastery profile (Inscape Epic), ProScan® Assessment and a 360° Feedback report (Vision View). You will receive three separate emails with links for the three surveys/assessments.
Work Begins Before Attending
- The Time Mastery Profile needs to be completed by you. A link will be emailed to you from Inscape-Epic (check your spam filter). This survey will take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete.
The Time Mastery Profile provides insight about how you manage time, projects and people. The results and interpretation of your individual survey will be provided during the course of the Project Manager Academy.
- The ProScan® Assessment is administered over the internet. You will receive an email with a link to the assessment, which should take about 10 minutes to complete.
The ProScan® report measures:
- How a person functions most naturally
- The role a person feels they need to play
- How a person predictably comes across to others
- Energy resources
- Satisfaction index
- Stress levels
- Energy drain
- The 360° Feedback compares how you see yourself and how others perceive you based on collected feedback. Your managers, peers, customers, direct reports and others are invited to provide anonymous ratings and comments on a variety of skill, knowledge, ability and behavioral areas. These ratings and comments are combined to provide you with a comprehensive report to assist in personal and professional development.
You will receive a link to access the VisionView website with instructions on how to complete the survey. Also send the link to the individuals you have selected to complete the survey. Engage at least 10 others to complete the 360° feedback, including your immediate supervisor, three associates or peers, one direct report, one customer and one subcontractor or vendor.
Results are confidential to you and your FMI facilitator. Although the assessment only takes about an hour to complete, FMI recommends beginning the process two weeks prior to attending the program to allow enough time for the surveys to be completed.
- FMI's Feedback Survey - In preparation for the upcoming Project Manager Academy, we would like to gather some of your thoughts about our industry. The responses are anonymous; individual names and company information will not be shared. This information, in aggregate, will help the Project Manager Academy facilitators focus on the items and topics that are the most useful. You will be sent an email invitation with a link to the survey.
All pre-work is due at least two weeks prior to your Project Manager Academy session start date.
Travel - Venue - Accommodations
In keeping with their best-in-class goals, students should be lodged in individual rooms at a hotel convenient to the training.
When making flight arrangements, please plan to arrive the day before the start date as PMA begins at 8:00 a.m. the first day. Departure flights should be booked no earlier than 5:30 p.m. on the final day. If a departure flight is not available after 5:30 p.m., to your return destination, you have the option to stay at the hotel an additional night at your expense.
Denver Venue and Accommodations – October 17-20, 2016
The Project Manager Academy will be held at the Crowne Plaza Denver Airport.
FMI has reserved a block of rooms at the Crowne Plaza Denver Airport. If you choose to stay at a different hotel you will be responsible for providing your own transportation to/from the Crowne Plaza Denver Airport for the program. If you want to explore other venues in the evening, you may want to rent a car or you can take a taxi. The Crowne Plaza Denver Airport does provide transportation to and from the DEN Denver Airport:
- Shuttles run every :30 minutes on the hour.
- Look for the "Hotel Shuttles" sign by baggage claim
- West Door 510 or East Door 503
Crowne Plaza Denver Airport
15500 E. 40th Avenue
Denver, Colorado 80239
When calling for reservations, ask for "FMI Project Manager Academy" room block for the discounted fee.
Reservation cut-off date is October 6, 2016
Breakfast is not provided for PMA attendees. Room service is available. There are also many breakfast options available in the hotel dining area beginning at 6:00 a.m. We will have coffee, bottled water, soda and tea provided during the day. Lunch will be catered each day; dinner is provided on day two and three of the program. On the first night attendees are encouraged to enjoy exploring local restaurants with team members.
Southern California (Ontario, CA) Venue and Accommodations – November 14-17, 2016
The Project Manager Academy will be held at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario Airport.
FMI has reserved a block of rooms at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario Airport. If you choose to stay at a different hotel you will be responsible for providing your own transportation to/from the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario Airport for the program. If you want to explore other venues in the evening, you may want to rent a car or you can take a taxi. The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario Airport does provide transportation to and from the Ontario Airport.
- After arriving at the Ontario airport and picking up your luggage, call the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario Airport 1-909-937-0900 for shuttle service to the hotel. The drivee will ask where you are located and passenger information for pick up.
- When the program is over, the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario Airport provides shuttle service to the Ontario airport every 30 minutes.
- Distance between the Ontario airport and the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario hotel is 7-10 minutes.
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ontario Airport
222 North Vineyard Avenue
Ontario, California 91764
FMI has reserved a block of rooms at a discounted rate. Please click on the link above to make reservations or call 1-800-222-8733 and use the code EMJ when making reservations to ensure you receive the discounted fee.
Reservation cut-off date is October 24, 2016
Breakfast is not provided for PMA attendees. A Starbucks counter and many other breakfast are available in the hotel dining area beginning at 6:00 a.m. We will have coffee, bottled water, soda and tea provided during the day. Lunch will be catered each day; dinner is provided on day two and three of the program. On the first night attendees are encouraged to enjoy exploring local restaurants with team members.
Raleigh Venue and Accommodations – December 12-15, 2016
The Project Manager program will be held at the FMI Training Center (5171 Glenwood Avenue, Raleigh, NC 27612).
FMI has reserved a block of rooms at the Residence Inn Raleigh Crabtree. We urge you to reserve a room as soon as you plan to attend this event. If you call the hotel, be sure to ask for the “FMI Project Manager Academy" room block.
Residence Inn Raleigh Crabtree Room Block Reservation Link (December Session)
2200 Summit Park Lane
Raleigh, NC 27612
Reservation cut-off date for this session is November 23, 2016
You will need to take a taxi to the hotel upon arrival. If you want to explore other venues in the evening, you may want to rent a car or you can take a taxi. The Crabtree Valley Mall is within walking distance of the hotel. Transportation will be provided daily from the Residence Inn to the FMI Training Center and to the airport on the last day. If you choose to stay at a different hotel you will be responsible for providing your own transportation to/from the training center. The shuttle will leave promptly at 7:30 am from outside the main lobby. Be sure to look for the vans with the White Horse logo on the door.
Complimentary breakfast is provided at the hotel for all guests. We will have coffee, bottled water, and sodas provided during the day. Lunch will be catered each day and snacks will be available between meals. Dinner is catered in every night with the exception of the first evening when you are encouraged to enjoy exploring local restaurants with your team members.
Fees, Cancellation and Policies
The tuition includes all seminar instruction and materials, a certificate of completion and all meals except one dinner. Lodging is not included. Transportation to and from our recommended hotel and the training venue, as well as to the airport on the final day, is provided. Other transportation is not included.
The registration fee for Project Manager Academy is:
- $6,500 for the first attendee
- $6,000 for each additional attendee in the same session from the same company
Michelle Anysz | 919.785.9298
If you need to cancel your registration, please note that you will be subject to a $395 administrative cancellation fee per registrant. We need to receive your written cancellation at least five business days before the program in order to refund your remaining tuition. Otherwise, your tuition will be converted to a nonrefundable credit you may apply toward any FMI program for a full year. Please email us at email@example.com to submit your cancellation request.
Please note: If FMI cancels the event, your registration fee will be refunded. However, FMI cannot be held accountable for nonrefundable airline tickets or other expenses related to your travel to the event.
For questions regarding FMI's cancellation policy, please call 800.877.1364.
FMI reserves the right to change, add or cancel programs according to the needs of the industry.
If you would like to make any name changes or substitute participants please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Substitutions can be made up to five business days prior to the start of the program.
After 60 years of helping the construction industry enhance performance, productivity, and profitability, we believe you will return home with the tools and information to make a difference in your work. If for any reason you are not satisfied, please inform us by calling 800.877.1364. We will refund your tuition or give you a credit to use at another FMI program.
Continuing Education Credits
You can earn up to 28 hours of continuing education credits by completing the program. A certificate of completion will be awarded to you at the conclusion of the program. You may use this certificate for self-reporting purposes to many state and local continuing education entities.
FMI corporation has been reviewed and approved as a provider of project training for the Project Management Institute (PMI).
FMI Corporation is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417. Website: www.nasba.org.
Group Live | Intermediate | Complete assessment prior to attending
What the Attendees Are Saying...
- “As a project manager we have been subjected to the information covered, but without the ‘why’ of the follow through learned at PMA. We do not fully know what we are trying to achieve. It is such a huge eye-opener”
- Jesse James Duke, Director of Operations, Veterans Range Solutions
- “This was an excellent, invaluable training program! Even for seasoned PM’s they have excellent training lessons for all levels”
-Lindsay Howard, Project Manager, Commercial Roofers, Inc.
- “The tools provided will have an invaluable impact on your life in your career and with your personal relationships, if you apply them”
-Lamont Dunbar, Project Manager, Webber LLC
- “The project manager academy has the ability to change lived and change companies by giving members a sense of ownership”
-William Yost, Project Manager J. Fletcher Creamer & Son, Inc.
- “I was highly skeptical, but came away with not one or two, but a number of lessons that will be great to implement”
-Anna Fujimoto, Project Manager, Foushee and Associates