Develop Competitive Proposals
If you’re going to invest the time to write a proposal, why not invest the time to make it a winner?
STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD
Your proposal should give the customer a business reason to pick you over all the other contractors pursing the project.
Proposals need to sell in approach, words, format and layout. Your cover letter has to grab the customers' attention and get them interested in reading your proposal. Otherwise, the customer will pick your proposal first—for the “no” pile. Give them business reasons to pick you. Tell your message in unique ways and leave them with something to remember you.
Winning Proposals will give you the tools you need to create proposals and selling messages that get you selected.
Through a combination of real-life examples and case studies, you will gain firsthand experience dealing with all the significant proposal steps, from making a go/no-go decision to reviews and approvals. You will walk away with concrete techniques to convert classroom ideas into real-life competitive advantages for your firm. When you are developing proposals, winning is everything. Adopt the techniques covered in this workshop and your win rate will increase!
If you have any questions about the program or the topics we will cover, please contact the program director, Cynthia Paul at 303.398.7206.
Who Should Attend
Anyone in senior management, project management, estimating or business development who is involved in securing work.
There is benefit in having several team members experience Winning Proposals. The principles will multiply throughout your organization. Companies send their team members in pairs to foster greater cohesion and accountability.
FMI’s Winning Proposals workshop will teach you to:
- Sell yourself and company by creating hard-hitting proposals
- Stand out from the competition with a unique win strategy
- Develop a value proposition for your clients
- Create strong, effective sales messages that resonate in the customer’s mind
- Integrate your win strategy in theme statements, visuals, callouts and captions
- Increase your win rate significantly
- Sell to your clients' hot buttons — even the ones they do not tell you about!
- Analyze your competition and counteract their strengths
- Use boiler-plates effectively and seamlessly
- Craft customer-specific résumés that sell your team
- Develop follow-up strategies to position your team after the proposal is delivered
What the Attendees Are Saying...
- "Exceeded expectations and helped me realize the importance of proposals and the need to evaluate and modify our company proposals to better our position in the present competitive construction market." — Talmadge James, Senior Estimator, Dunn Building
- "It has changed the way we approach a new potential sale. We have the whole team engaged and excited applying what we’ve learned. It has already made a difference!" — Nick Kocelj, President, Walters and Wolf Glass
- "I am completely confident I will write better proposals." — Nic Williams, Business Development, Kirk Williams Co.
- "Love the program and group interaction." — Pansy Romo, Senior Project Manager, Air Systems of Sacramento
- "Very dynamic and engaging presenters. Unique abilities to involve audience participation. High levels of industry knowledge." — Karen Irwin, Marketing Manager, Catamount Constructors
Business Development Services
FMI has created three courses based on proven processes that will improve your business development results, win more work and grow your profitability:
FMI’s experienced team can customize a solution specifically for you. With the tools that you will gain through one of these programs or through an engagement specifically designed for your company, you will create a strategic business development vision and a structured implementation plan to differentiate your company from the competition.
Contact Cynthia Paul at 303.398.7206 to determine which option fits your needs best and will make your team most effective.
8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Look at the proposal through the eye of the customer
- Work on mini case study: You, as the evaluator
- Use proposals as a sales tool
- Discover your unique approach
- Gain commitment — internal kick-off meeting
Create Your Winning Strategy
- Discover the customers' hot buttons
- Create a competitive advantage
- Define and communicate your white space
- Analyze the customers' key issues
- Create a compelling reason to pick you
- Use the go/no-go to quantify the right investment
Develop the Winning Proposals
- Participate in workshop — win strategy development
- Create messaging “nuggets” that grab attention
- Craft the value proposition that sets you apart
- Match the structure to your customer’s criteria
- Put your best foot forward — in proposals and presentations
Revise and Refine Your Message
- Sell in words, format and approach
- Stop eleventh-hour changes — editing and revision workshop
- Pre-position your message — do not wait for the proposal
- Use boilerplate strategically — how to decide where to use it
- Prepare the final proposal — last-minute touches and tips
Sell Your Winning Proposal
- Get your team ready to present — everyone has a role
- Link your presentation message to your winning proposal
- Follow up after the proposal — learn to stand out
- Improve your process — lessons learned and next steps
Learn From the Best
Cynthia Paul, managing director and practice leader for business development, works with industry firms to position them to capture market share and grow profitably. She helps create the strategic vision to differentiate you from the competition and get you positioned to win the right opportunities. Her experience with helping clients convert strategic “concepts” into everyday reality allows her to bring a hands-on approach to the training experience. You will walk away with concrete techniques to convert classroom ideas into real-life competitive advantages for your firm. Read Cynthia's full bio here.
Travel & Accommodations
When making flight arrangements, please plan to arrive the day before the start date as Winning Proposals begins at 8:30 a.m. the first day. Departure flights should be booked no earlier than 6:00 p.m. on the final day. If a departure flight is not available after 6:00 p.m. to your return destination, you have the option to stay at the hotel an additional night at your expense.
A limited number of rooms have been set aside for attendees at the seminar hotel. Rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis only. Please call the hotel directly to make your reservations, and refer to FMI Corporation when making your reservations. We urge you to reserve a room as soon as you plan to attend this event.
Fees, Cancellation and Policies
The tuition includes all workbook materials, program instruction, and refreshment breaks. Meals and lodging are not included.
The enrollment fee for Winning Proposals is:
- $1,995 for the first attendee
- $1,795 for each additional attendee from the same company
Payment will be collected at time of registration.
If you would like to make any name changes or cancel participants, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an email response once your request has been processed. If we receive your written cancellation at least five (5) business days before the program, we will refund your tuition. Otherwise, your tuition will be converted to a nonrefundable credit you may apply toward any FMI product or program for a full year.
Please note: If the event is canceled due to insufficient registrations, your registration fee will be refunded. However, FMI cannot be held accountable for nonrefundable airline tickets or other expenses related to your travel to the event.
For questions regarding FMI's cancellation policy, please call 800.877.1364.
FMI reserves the right to change, add or cancel programs according to the needs of the industry.
Dress for the program is business casual. Weather in Denver varies. We recommend that you check the weather for the area prior to packing. Click here to see a 10-day forecast; just scroll down the page once linked.
After 55-plus years of helping the construction industry enhance performance, productivity, and profitability, we believe you will return home with the tools and information to make a difference in your work. If for any reason you are not satisfied, please inform us by calling 800.877.1364. We will refund your tuition or give you a credit to use at another FMI program.
Continuing Education Credits
You can earn up to 13 hours of continuing education credits by completing this program. A certificate of completion will be awarded to you at the conclusion of the program. You may use this certificate for self-reporting purposes to many state and local continuing education entities.
FMI Corporation is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be addressed to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors, 150 Fourth Avenue North, Suite 700, Nashville, TN 37219-2417. Website: www.nasba.org.
Group Live | Intermediate | No Advanced Preparation Required