Winning Stories from the Post-2007 Construction Industry
RALEIGH, N.C., (October 18, 2011) – FMI, the largest provider of management consulting and investment banking to the engineering and construction industry, releases its newest study “Adjust, Adapt, Act: Winning Stories From the Post-2007 Construction Industry.” The paper explores several case studies, including Sun Country Builders, Huen, BakerTriangle, Consigli, Skender Construction and Flatiron, and distills the key factors that make these companies unique and successful. The article also summarizes thoughts and insight from senior FMI strategy experts on success strategies that have become crucial in running a profitable construction business, as well as common mistakes, which can lead to failure in today’s cutthroat environment.
Select success strategies discussed in the paper include:
- Get into the heads of your clients – early.
- Reinvent yourself and innovate. Find what makes you unique.
- Be smart about diversifying your portfolio.
- Be nimble and flexible, yet disciplined. Never get complacent.
- Understand “incremental economics” – revenue, margin, overhead – more than ever.
- Bring creative financing solutions to the table.
- Build contingency plans into all corporate strategy discussions and never stop looking ahead.
Key highlights include:
- Case studies on successful companies
- Business imperatives for a volatile economy – thoughts and insight from FMI consultants and study participants
- Common mistakes – summary of most frequent strategic mistakes witnessed by FMI consultants
- Conclusion and recommendations