RALEIGH, N.C. – September 21, 2017. FMI Corporation, the leading provider of management consulting and investment banking services to engineering and construction, infrastructure and the built environment, is pleased to announce the release of its 2017 Ownership Transfer and Management Succession report. The publication reveals new, emerging ownership trends and fresh insights on how companies are developing and preparing their future leaders.
Scott Duncan, director with FMI Capital Advisors, Inc., states, “Owners should have a strong understanding of the salability of their firms as they begin considering transition options. While a minority of construction firms will ultimately sell in the third-party marketplace, the issues that drive successful external transitions are often very like those that drive successful internal transitions.”
Some of the report’s key findings include:
- Fewer firms have family members active in their businesses today than in 2013 (45% in 2017 versus 73% in 2013).
- Fewer firms say that the next generation will both own and run the business in the future (32% in 2017 versus 52% in 2013).
- ESOPs are resurging, increasing from 4% to 12% from 2013 to 2017, respectively.
- Fewer firms are planning a third-party sale (decrease from 17% in 2013 to 8% in 2017).
- 47% of identified successors won’t be ready for leadership roles for another three to five years.
For over 60 years, FMI has been the leading management consulting and investment banking firm dedicated exclusively to engineering and construction, infrastructure and the built environment.
FMI serves all sectors of the industry as a trusted advisor. More than six decades of context, connections and insights lead to transformational outcomes for clients and the industry.
FMI helps you build your foundation for tomorrow and optimize your business for today. Industry Focus. Powerful Results.
About FMI Capital Advisors
FMI Capital Advisors, a subsidiary of FMI Corporation, is a leading investment banking firm exclusively serving engineering and construction, infrastructure and the built environment. With over 600 completed transactions, our unique industry focus enables us to provide our clients with valuable insight and advice. Clients gain access to our unparalleled network of industry contacts and relationships, deep market knowledge and technical expertise.
FMI Capital Advisors Contact:
Scott Duncan, Director
Rebecca Esler, FMI